Miller-Motte Technical College in Macon, Georgia is looking for a Director of Education.
The Director of Education is responsible for the overall operations of the Academic Department at the school level, assuring compliance with institutional, accreditation, state, and federal policy and regulation as well as Delta standards, policies and procedures. The Director of Education serves as a member of the Campus Management Team and supervises the Academic team, including the Assistant Director of Education (when applicable), Registrar, Library/Learning Resource Center Manager, Evening Supervisor, Program Directors, faculty members, and other academic support staff.
I. Provides Services to Students
• Coordinates and participates in facilitating New Student Orientation Program each term. Provides an Orientation Program for re-entering students who have been out of school for more than one quarter.
• Establishes rapport with students in order to offer counsel, and answer questions and/or concerns on a regular basis.
• Provides oversight to Program Directors who provide academic advisement/counseling as needed to students.
• Ensures that all probationary students receive sufficient academic counseling and that an academic plan is developed to facilitate their academic progress. Provides referrals to outside resources when counseling needs go beyond the scope of the school.
• Requires Program Directors to Identify students needing tutoring and refers to instructors and/or peers for tutoring where required.
• Responds to student requests for accommodations after consulting with the CRC.
• Leads the Retention Program by planning, implementing, and directing effective student retention activities. Monitors instructor telephone calls to absent students, reviews Early Alert forms, mails Excessive Absence Notices, and compiles and monitors Weekly Retention Report.
• Serves as the chair of the Academic Review Committee. Facilitates hearings and writes letters and reports of findings as outlined in the catalog and handbooks.
• Understands and resolves student disciplinary problems. Completes and maintains necessary documentation. When required, refers dispute resolution to Academic Review Committee.
• Coordinates, monitors, and supports student organization programs and school-sponsored student activities through faculty sponsors.
• Supervises publication of school newspapers and newsletters and obtains final approval of Campus Director prior to printing.
• Monitors the Student Suggestion Box and provides timely response to any student concerns.
• Conducts exit interview sessions for graduates and completes all required documentation to be maintained in student file.
• Interviews non-returning students to determine and document cause.
• Interviews re-entering students to determine readiness and dedication to pursuit of academic goals.
• Oversee maintenance and improvements for student classrooms, library/resource center, and student lounge areas through coordination of efforts among administration, students, and custodial staff.
II. Creates and Maintains a Master Schedules of Classes
• Develops a Master Schedule of Classes on an annual basis and presents to Campus Director for approval. Maintains a minimum overall student-teacher ratio of 25:1 to promote a positive learning environment and optimal utilization of faculty and facilities.
• Meets with each Instructor individually to discuss teaching assignment, textbooks, course syllabi, and weekly lesson plans prior to class starting.
• Maintains a Master Teaching Schedule for all Instructors.
• Supervises quarterly student registration; works with Registrar and Program Directors to schedule new, continuing, and re-entering students.
• Ensures student and class schedules are created and distributed in a timely manner. Ensures all continuing students receive class schedules for the next term prior to finals for the current term. Provides all new students with their class schedules during the new student orientation. Provides Program Directors with continuing student schedules for the upcoming term.
• Ensures that all classes are conducted as scheduled. Monitors classroom activities by walking about the hallways and observing daily activities.
• Prepares the final exam schedule for the end of each grading period and distributes to all faculty and staff.
• Maintains a file of substitute teachers who may be called upon to fill in on a temporary basis as needed.
• Teaches up to three classes per term, as needed; serves as a substitute instructor on an occasional basis.
III. Provides Oversight and Leadership to Program Directors
• Hires Program Directors who meet credential requirements, demonstrate subject matter expertise and illustrate the capacity to be excellent educators
• Hold Program Directors accountable for managing the "business" of their programs including working with Admissions to meet potential new students, meeting a new students during the provisional period, tracking student retention and satisfaction
• Require and monitor Program Director participation in the curriculum development/revision business and their management of the transition from one program version to another
• Collaborate with Program Directors to analyze program level graduation rates, placement rates and employer satisfaction
• Oversee Program Director as they hire, train, supervise, develop and evaluate, qualified faculty in accordance with institution, state, accrediting, and other regulatory and policy guidelines.
• Assure that Program Directors require and monitor instructor use of aligned curriculum, instructional methods, materials, and equipment as defined by standardized curriculum.
• Require Program Directors to maintain an inventory of all equipment and learning materials required by curriculum.Pre-approves outside invited classroom speakers. Maintains a record of all guest speakers and topics.
• Pre-approves student field trips. Maintains a record of all field trip destinations, supervisors, and student release forms.
IV. Provide Oversight and Leadership to the Provision of Library Resources and Services
• Assures that Library/LRC staff is collaborating with the VP of Information and Library Services to develop library resource collections that support the curriculum delivered by the campus.
• Supervise the Library/Resource Center and its personnel.
• Require Library/LRC Staff are utilizing the Evergreen software to catalog library resources.
• Oversee Library/LRC staff collection of utilization data and incorporation into Campus Effectiveness Plan.
• Ensure Library/Resource Center provides a reference service for the faculty, staff, and students.
V. Embraces and Facilitates Implementation of Hybrid/Blended Instructional Delivery
• Collaborates with the VP of Instructional Delivery to secure state and accreditation approval to allow students to participate in hybrid/blended learning
• Collaborates with the VP of Instructional Delivery to prepare campus to implement hybrid/blended instructional delivery
• Appoints an Online Learning Coordinator to support ground students who elect to take online courses from the Host Institution
• Monitors number of course sections offered on ground versus online
• Analyzes student performance in online course sections versus ground course sections
• Monitors student satisfaction in online course sections versus ground course sections
• Drives student participation in online courses
VI. Manages Academic Data
• Ensures integrity of academic record keeping for all active and inactive students so it is consistent with institutional, accreditation, federal and state guidelines and so compliance audits result in zero findings.
• Oversees the maintenance of accurate student files (i.e. academic, attendance reporting, and attendance record keeping systems). Monitors daily attendance.
• Maintains an accurate student population list in CampusVue. Ensures that withdrawn and graduating students are processed on a timely basis to ensure compliance with institution, federal, and state guidelines. Audit student records to ensure documentation in file is complete.
• Requires Program Directors to assure that Instructors maintain accurate attendance, grade books and other records.
• Collects final grades from all Instructors and supervises the recording of the grades on permanent student records.
• Assures student grade reports are distributed to all students within three days of the end of the grading period.
• Assures that an accurate Student Transcript is maintained for each matriculating student. Supervises and spot-checks the computation of student GPA and CGPA as recorded on the permanent student record.
• Prepares a list of expected candidates for graduation for the next two terms and distributes to Campus Director and members of the management team at the beginning of each quarter.
• Oversees the evaluation of prior learning on student transcripts and the award of appropriate transfer credit.
• Provides oversight of testing of new students for advanced standing, appropriate award of proficiency credit, and notification of students.
• Creates and distributes certificates for Dean’s List, Honors, and Perfect Attendance at the beginning of each quarter based upon the previous term’s grades.
• Generates CampusVue reports to track and identify student performance against Satisfactory Academic Progress standards on a quarterly basis. Maintains documentation of file review of students and actions taken (probation, dismissal, etc.).
VII. Provides Academic Information and Directs the Collection, Maintenance, and Reporting of Relevant Data
• Ensures accuracy of academic information in Faculty Handbook, Student Handbook and school catalog.
• Ensures accuracy of information and grading legends on academic transcript form that they are an exact match to the catalog.
• Ensures that academic and attendance records are prepared and updated in CampusVue.
• Provides academic information for preparation of annual accreditation, federal (IPEDS), state licensure, and agency reports.
• Assists in preparation of Institutional Self-Studies, program approval and revision materials for accrediting and approving bodies. Submits all materials to CRC Academic Compliance team for review, approval and submission to the third party.
• Contributes to the preparation of the Campus Effectiveness Plan (CEP) and its Quarterly and Annual Summary Reports. Conducts annual student satisfaction surveys and oversees administration of end-of-course surveys.
• Reviews evaluations with instructors and maintains results in instructor personnel files.
• Generates CampusVue reports to prepare monthly Population Report. Retains back-up documentation of starts, re-entries, withdrawals, dismissals, graduates and leaves of absences and distributes to Campus Director and members of campus management team.
• Leverages data collected by Careers Services regarding employment trends relating to or impacting programs to inform program modifications.
• Advocates for hybrid and other innovative means of instructional delivery.
VIII. Oversees Faculty Performance and Development
• Provides quarterly in-service training programs for day and evening faculty members. Publishes an in-service training calendar of dates, training topics, and speakers. Maintains a record of each in-service session including agenda, attendance, and written comments and evaluations from instructors.
• Verifies that faculty development activities are documented including annual Development Plans
• Conducts pre-service orientation programs for all new Instructors prior to the start of each term and provides each new Instructor with a mentor during the first term of employment.
• Assures that Program Directors conduct annual performance reviews for instructors and maintain copies of evaluations in personnel files.
• Conducts faculty classroom observations, shares constructive feedback and documents the process accordingly.
IX. Leads and Develops Others
• Provides clearly defined roles and objectives for others, monitors performance, provides feedback, and meets regularly to discuss priorities.
• Resolves individual and group performance opportunities in a timely manner to motivate and foster teamwork.
• Identifies opportunities to involve others in new and challenging work assignments that advance the skills and capabilities of individuals and the organization.